Cranford Hockey Under New Leadership

Ryan Echavarria, Writer

Recently 26 year veteran Coach Hurley has stepped down from the Head Coaching position for the Cranford High School Hockey team in Cranford, New Jersey. He started the program in 1992 and built up a solid consistently good program. From there he brought many teams into the semifinals and even the finals of the County Tournament, but it wasn’t until 2016 when they brought the team their first County Title in 2016, with a 3-2 win over Summit. He ended his last year with the program on a high note, by helping the team get to the conference finals. Unfortunately, though, they lost. 

Coach Hurley has now handed over the reigns to new Head Coach Michael Ozolnieks and Assistant Coach Mike Castagno. The two coaches, Ozolnieks and Castagno have already lead the team to a conference final in their first season, but sadly they lost again. The team did do considerably better than what was expected after graduating eight seniors the year before, because at the five seed for the conference tournament nobody expected them to beat the four and one seed to make it to the finals. With the program now in the very capable hands of Coach Ozolnieks and Coach Castagno there is no doubt in anyone’s mind that this program will continue to grow and prosper throughout the upcoming years.

.