The Effects of Open Campus on the Seniors at Cranford High School

The Inside Scoop on Senior Privileges

Back to Article
Back to Article

Madison Flynn, Writer

Have you dreamt of the day when you would obtain the privilege of leaving school for lunch with your friends? Or getting to leave that extra hour early because you were lucky enough to have an afternoon study fit into your schedule? When I was a sophomore, open campus was introduced to Cranford High School. I remember the lunch bell ringing as I walked past the rotunda and seeing all the seniors leaving for lunch, counting down the days until that I would get that privilege.

Personally, when I think of open campus, I think of an advantage that a senior shall acquire due to past responsibilities they have obtained. This is a great thing to possess being that it gives you a sense of freedom and relieves some stress throughout the day. During my open campus experiences so far, I have had the chance to go get lunch with friends or go home and rest. It’s the hour of freedom that can break up the entire day and help one concentrate through classes. Open campus is a time where a student should be allowed immunity to leave the school and undertake any activity as they please. I have had pleasant experiences thus far and know that my peers have as well. According to my classmate, Lily Vollenbroek, “I love having the ability to leave school and being able to choose what I want to do within the amount of time that is given. It truly has such a positive effect on the school day as a whole.”

On the other hand, I believe that it teaches students the valuable lesson of time management. Students have to take into account how long it will take them to find a parking spot and then make their way back into the building. Going off of this, I believe the teachers should be a little more lenient with open campus because although it is not easy to obtain the privilege, it is very easy to lose it. If you walk into the building as the bell is ringing and you still have four minutes to get to class, you are still considered late and you lose your open campus card for the following day. While open campus is an advantage that every senior dreams of securing, the privilege comes with a great deal of responsibility. To conclude, I believe open campus educates students on the lesson of time management and how to make smart decisions when given the freedom to do so.