Mario Kart Tour The new “It” game

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mario Kart Tour The new “It” game

Brandon Lago, Writer

Hello cougars, I’m sure you’re already well aware of a new game that came into our lives  full speed this past week. Weather that being a fan of Nintendo and following since the game was first revealed to the public, or one of the many students roaming the halls playing it. The game in question is Mario Kart Tour. This game takes the classic game play that we all know and love from the Mario Kart franchise and made a version for your smartphone. Already in the first few weeks of launch over 20 million people globally has downloaded this game, making it already the most successful mobile game Nintendo has released.

The basic Idea of the game is that you play as one of many classic Mario characters and race against 7 other players around the world on a variety of different maps and speeds. The currently available characters (that you do have to unlock over time) are Baby Mario, Baby Peach, Baby Daisy, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, Dry Bones, Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Daisy, Toad, Toadette, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Metal Mario, Peachette, Pauline, Mario (musician), and Dry Bowser. Also each of these characters have special items or special versions of items. For example baby peach and baby daisy both have an item called bubble, which pretty much auto pilots your character for a short amount of time and makes you immune to getting hit by other opponents. While characters like shy guy, when they get a bob-ombs from an item block instead of being able to throw one, he instead throws two.

In this game there are many ways to be able to customize your play style, from the character you use to even the kart and glider you use. Just like characters different cars and gliders can give boosts such as increasing your speed when you hit a bump or increase the chance of getting a certain item. If you are like me, you try to get the best combination of character, kart and glider to get first place every time. Lucky for us that the game has different tier characters, karts and gliders to give us bonuses in game. These bonuses include a thing called frenzy, which is equivalent to the star power up in the original Mario kart games. During frenzy you are invincible to all collisions and you are able to spam and rapidly tap whatever power up you got. 

So far Mario kart is pretty new and you could probably see a major update in the near future. For the time being I’m personally enjoying the game, and since it’s fast to learn and pick up, I’m sure a lot of people are gonna enjoy it to.