How to receive open campus

Ava DiRusso, Editor

Open campus is a blessing. When open campus was first introduced when I was a sophomore I was so excited. I could not wait to be a senior. When I was a sophomore I was so jealous.

For open campus you get to leave for lunch. If your study is the first block, you get to come to school at 9 am. If you have it the third block right before lunch you get to go home, and stay out till after lunch is over. If your study is right after lunch you do not have to come back to school till 1, and if your study is last you get to leave school early. The great thing is that at least once a week you will have two hours, or get to come in late or leave early. 

Not everyone receives open campus. You have to be a good student. The first thing is do your brag sheet! The brag sheet is just what it sounds like. There are two brag sheets- the student brag sheet and the parent brag sheet. Both you and your guardian have to do it, and all you have to do is brag about yourself. 

The next thing you have to do is make sure that you do not exceed 14 unexcused absences. If you are sick so you have a doctor’s note, or you had surgery you are okay, but you can’t just not come to school and expect to receive an open campus. 

You also have to have a certain gpa. If you are not doing well in school, why would they reward you with going out with your friends. You also have to make sure that you are not late. They want to reward the students who deserve it. 

The last thing is that you have to be a good student. MAke sure that you do not get in trouble a lot. It would not be fair for misbehaving students to receive something that is a big deal. The school also wants to know that the people that are leaving, they can trust, that they won’t be disruptive or anything. 

The administration staff does not want to keep you guys here. When you are a senior you get a certain type of respect, and they want you to be able to have that. Now that everyone has the same lunch, they do not want the seniors here! They want all the room they can have for the underclassmen. If all the seniors had to stay, there would be no room. It would also stink to not have any of your friends at lunch with you. Also what if you do not  have study in the middle? You will be all by yourself when you could have been at home. 

Open Campus is a great thing. Looking back I have no idea how I was able to stay the whole day without a break. It is nice to see your friends, you are able to do homework, and some people even take a nap. It is a great thing, and I promise you, it will be worth it to do the brag sheet, make sure your gpa is good, make sure you are a good student, and make sure you are not absent or late too many times.