Online School – Helpful or Harmful?

Emma Horsch, Writer

To prevent the spread of COVID-19, Cranford High School along with (almost) all schools in the United States, have turned to online classes. Students of all grades are continuing their learning at home by printing out worksheets, writing essays online, taking photos of their work, and even talking to their teachers face to face through Google Hangouts, Zoom, or Skype. Although online school is a convenient way to enforce learning at home, is there a possibility that it could be detrimental to students in the long run?

Participating in online classes is the best way to continue to learn when you’re unable to attend class in person. Unlike traditional school, online classes allow students to work at their own pace while still having due dates. This means that students still learn time management skills all while being able to do their school work in a way that fits into their personal lives more conveniently. Another benefit of taking online classes is that students will always have a way to communicate with the teacher. In real life classes, the student has to wait for the teacher to call on them, but online, the student can simply shoot them an email, comment, or Remind text and on their phone or computer.
However, online school isn’t the best option for some students. It can be difficult for students to find motivation to do school work at home vs in a school setting. In school, students are not given the option to choose when they do their work or how much time they spend doing assignments but at home, they have the freedom to do this. This can be a challenge for some less motivated students because there are things that they would rather be doing at home. A second reason why online school can be detrimental for students is because students miss out on socialization. Although they may stay connected through Zoom, Google Hangouts, etc., it can still be hard on students who see school as a way to see their friends. Missing out on this socialization time causes students to feel lonely and discouraged.