The Old Cranford Football Is Back-Cranford Football Game Recap

Garrett Lynch, Writer

The matchup between the Cranford Cougars and John F. Kennedy High School was supposed to be a great matchup but it was anything but that. The Cougars had a dominating performance winning by a score of 44-7.

The Cougar defense looked outstanding only allowing 7 points all night. The Cougar defense was able to force turnovers and even produce a safety by defensive end Garrett Lynch. Nate Caldwell led the defense with 6 total tackles, while Outside Linebackers Nick Libera and Kevin Keogh were all over the field Friday night with 4 tackles by Nick with 2 tackles for a loss and a sack, Kevin Keogh also had 4 tackles and 1 tackle for loss. The strong defensive performance by the Cougars held the Mustangs to only 60 yards rushing and 75 yards passing.

The Cougar offense started off slow but were able to turn it on in the second quarter with great blocking up front by the offensive line. Jake Chapman started the second quarter off with a 9 yard run for a touchdown, and after that the Mustangs defense had no answers, with touchdowns from Marcus Johnson and Dennis DeMarino the Cougars finished the 2nd quarter with 23 points and they were not done yet. The 3rd quarter started off with a bang Jake Chapman took a kick return for a 83 yard kickoff return putting the Cougars up 30-7 early in the 3rd. Followed by a 21 yard run by Dennis DeMarino later in the 3rd and the cougars were heading into the fourth leading 37-7. In the fourth only one touchdown was scored, Colin Murray 5 yard touchdown run. 

In all the Cougars had all 3 phases of the game working Offense,Defense, and Special Teams and the Mustangs had no answer. Can the Cougars continue dominating teams like this, we will just have to wait and see when the Cranford Cougars take on the Scotch Plains Raiders next Friday.