Dialogue

• April 23Dialogue meets every Day 4 during lunch in room L313 - all are welcome!

• April 23The Dialogue app is now available in the Google Play and Apple App Stores! Download it today!

Exploring the Boundaries and Implications of High School Sport Rivalries on Social Media

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brigid Bevilaque, Writer

The excitement and passion students feel when cheering on their high school team is quite the adrenaline rush. It is a great outlet for students to express school spirit, however, sometimes the line between healthy competition and disrespect is crossed. In Cranford High School, the most highly attended games tend to be football games and hockey games: students are dressed in the week’s theme and surrounded by fellow students. The Cougar Den is usually packed full of students, all there for the same reason: to support our fellow athletes at what they do best. Occasionally the student sections will banter back and forth, “trash talking” throughout the games, until the teacher supervisors step in. As of 2013, New Jersey ruled, “high school athletes in the states can be ejected for taunting opponents as part of an anti-bullying initiative.It is apparent that these exchanges are not tolerated within the protection of the fields and facilities, but the greater problem is after the game on social media.

The easy access of social media and a quick google search has aided students in carrying out sport rivalries out of the arena, and into the messages and notifications of hundreds of students across the state. There are twitter accounts that collect anonymous submissions from NJ students that bash other teams and post them onto their page, for thousands of followers to read. Although some of the posts are innocent, and forms of healthy competition, many call out specific players and incidents, that trigger more aggression between the teams. The other aspect these accounts provide is instant communication between students among the schools. By providing a forum, built on rivalries and hate, that fosters these connections between students, tensions increase before the teams even compete. Imagine a Summit player posting something about a beloved Cranford one, many of the Cranford students would go back and forth with Summit students until someone says “let’s finish this in the parking lot.” It is an incident that happens too many times because of sports. Social media has turned into a negative way to spread violence and aggression between high school sports.

Despite New Jersey’s efforts to end this fighting among towns, these incidents are continuing to occur. In Cranford High School, the administration is attempting to cease all types of rivalry fights by assigning teachers and police officers to the Cougar Den. This effort shows there is no tolerance for this kind of behavior. Despite more minor incidents, such as chants, the real problem is not from at the games. It is afterwards and days later where the online aggressions continue.

Ending this online activity between high school rivals is a daunting task. However, it is not an impossible one. It is important for schools to recognize rivals exist and will continue to do so. Coaches and administration must encourage healthy banter instead of trying to end it permanently. Learning to use sports as an outlet for a little competition is not the problem. If students do so in appropriate ways, the need to carry on this aggression online will decrease tremendously. As a Cranford student, school spirit is high, and with fair boundaries in sports, the use of social media for negative engagement with other high schools will become unnecessary.