Dialogue

• April 23Dialogue meets every Day 4 during lunch in room L313 - all are welcome!

• April 23The Dialogue app is now available in the Google Play and Apple App Stores! Download it today!

A Beginner’s Guide to the Gym

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Beginner’s Guide to the Gym

Matt Serkin, Writer

Millions of people go to gyms these days for many different reasons. Also, with all the attention given to bodybuilding these days it has brought a larger crowd of people to the gyms. Huge bodybuilders such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, Dorian Yates, and Ronnie Coleman are all people who have changed the limits of where lifting weights can take you. People ponder how they can look like these guys or even lesser, not ‘roided, versions of them.

If you are looking to start lifting weights for any reason these are things you either need to think about are start doing from the start. As a person who entered the gym as a noob and tried hard to learn what my body is capable of I will teach you some things I learned.

First of all, you better have a good reason to want to go to the gym. I see so many people who go to the gym but are not motivated enough to actually go to the gym and see it through. It is very important that you find something that drives you everyday to the gym and makes you work through any pain or setbacks. For me it was I am very insecure of my image and I love to look the best way I can. Whether you want to lose weight or just get bigger you need motivation or you are wasting your time.

Second of all, do not expect to come into the gym and lift as much as other people. If you can’t lift the weight and get a good contraction with the right form then make the weight less. It’s not about looking like you can lift the weight, you need to actually get the benefits of lifting it without hurting yourself. I see so many times my friends come to the gym and just try to show off how much they can lift with terrible form. Do not show off because it won’t benefit you at all. Even myself i find that I can’t lift a heavy weight and rather than try to show off I just lower the weight because getting a good contraction and using the right form is a million times more important than the amount of weight you lift.

Lastly, muscle-mind connection is incredibly important. If you did not get that then re-read the last sentence. When you curl a weight you need to put your mind on your biceps and focus on getting your biceps to contract as you slowly lift the weight up then slowly lower the weight. When you just lift the weight without thinking then your body focuses on recruiting any muscles it can to lift the weight rather than the muscle you are actually trying to grow. It is very important that you focus when you are lifting. When doing bench you naturally try to recruit your front delts, which is the part of your shoulder closer to your chest, to help lift the weight which can be damaging to your shoulder and also takes away from your chest.

It is very important that you find the motivation and don’t get so caught up in your appearance. Just focus on getting good form and put your mind inside the muscle that you are trying to work. And enjoy it!