Dialogue

• April 23Dialogue meets every Day 4 during lunch in room L313 - all are welcome!

• April 23The Dialogue app is now available in the Google Play and Apple App Stores! Download it today!

2018 Cranford Football Season Recap

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018 Cranford Football Season Recap

Phil Marotta, Writer

The leaves have fallen and autumn is in full swing, but unfortunately for the Cranford Cougars, the season has come to a close. The Cougars finished the season with a respectable 6-4 record in a very tough Group 4. The season ended with a 21-0 loss to the #12 ranked team in the state, the Phillipsburg Stateliners.

The season as a whole was very bright for the Cougars under Coach Erik Rosenmeier since the team made its first state sectional semifinal appearance since 2015. Highlighted by quality wins over rival, Summit (9-1 record) on Senior night and a tough win over Immaculata really put the team in playoff contention. The season started off with a bang with back to back blowout wins over North Plainfield and Governor Livingston 42-13 and 35-0 respectively. Tough losses to Rahway, Sommerville, and Hillside, are nothing to look down upon because these teams are all football powerhouses who will most likely go on to win their section.

The defense was most definitely the strong suit of the Cougars this year as it consisted of almost the entire senior class. Dante Cassaro led the secondary while Chris Guiditta and Rob Shork led the 3-3 stack style defense with a powerful run stopping game. Senior tailback James Schriner led the offense this year with 622 yards and 66 points while junior Conner Katz was taking snaps at quarterback throwing for over 1,100 yards this season. The Junior class produced a handful of quality offensive skill positions like Anthony Costello, Tommy Korzeneski, Cole Blazek, and Michael Kalnins. Unfortunately, the season was plagued with injury as Senior linebacker Owen Ballweg missed the majority of the season with a concussion, Senior Chucky Fabian missed all but one game with a broken collarbone, and star running back James Schriner was sidelined multiple times with concussion symptoms.

After moving from Group 3 to Group 4, the Cougars made quite an impact in the playoffs after beating Linden in the first round 30-12 as the lower ranked team. In the semifinal, Philipsburg led 7-0 for the majority of the game before a few keys play during the 4th quarter led to 2 more touchdowns. The future is bright for Cranford Football even though a large senior class is graduating (28 players), a Junior led offense will be something to look forward too next fall.