Dialogue

• April 23Dialogue meets every Day 4 during lunch in room L313 - all are welcome!

• April 23The Dialogue app is now available in the Google Play and Apple App Stores! Download it today!

Parking: A CHS Nightmare

Back to Article
Back to Article

Parking: A CHS Nightmare

Phil Marotta, Writer

Driving to school is a privilege that Seniors and some Juniors are fortunate to have. Being able to drive you and your friends to and from school could make some of the best memories you might have in high school. But these wonderful memories have recently been crushed by a pile of leaves.

Now that the leaves are falling and the crisp autumn weather turns into snow, driving to school is a nightmare. There are about 300 students in the senior class this year which makes finding a half-decent parking spot a challenge every morning. Personally, I live on the other side of town so I am forced to wake up earlier than normal and be at school 30 min before the bell rings to have the luxury of driving to school. Not to mention the handful of Juniors who are beginning to drive to school, stealing our parking spots.

What makes matters worse is the plethora of parking spots stolen by piles of leaves and snow. I am not angry at the owners of the houses for pushing the leaves off their lawn like every other member of society, but we are all frustrated with the town. The town should be able to provide a more efficient leave pick up and snow removal system than just letting the leaves get blown away by the wind. Everyday, at least half the parking spots around the school are covered by snow or leaves forcing students to park illegally on the other side of the street or on top of mountains of leaves and snow which could damage their car. As for the students who don’t find a parking spot, they are late to school and punished for it all because they had to park 3 blocks away and walk to school in the blistering snow.

Yes, one can make the argument that students need to wake up earlier to get to school on time to park or tell them to move the pile of leaves, but this would not solve anything. Even if students who drive did wake up earlier and get to school before the sun rises to find a parking spot, this does not fix the problem as all it does is make other students who drive late to school since they now have to park no closer to Brookside Avenue School then our own school. And where would the students move the leaves to to create a parking space? Should the students put the leaves in their trunk? Eat them?

I propose that the town uses the Parks and Recreation Department and along with the Sanitation Department and Recycling Center to hire more workers, this helps the economy too, to build a team to remove the leaves and snow from the streets around the high school and maybe even across the town. The town’s current leaf removal plan is not working and needs to be fixed. This will make our town cleaner, look better, more environmentally friendly, and make matters smoother in the morning for the chaos that occurs around the high school every morning.