How to make your vote count this fall

Helpful advice with Election Day around the corner

Rachel Westervelt, Writer

Congratulations to all of our seniors who have recently celebrated their eighteenth birthday. With the exciting new freedoms that adulthood offers, comes increased responsibility, as evident in the upcoming midterm elections. 

For those newly registered to vote, we at Dialogue turned to Cranford High School’s Current Events and AP Government and Politics teacher, Mr. Vito, for advice on how students can stay informed of current events and ensure that their vote counts. 

Even if you are not yet registered to vote: keep reading. He also provides valuable advice for making your political voice heard, where to find reliable, unbiased news, and discusses the importance of staying active in local politics:

Dialogue Staff:

Where can new voters look to stay informed about the candidates with sources that are easy to understand?

Mr. Vito: 

Magazines like TIME and Newsweek are reliable sources (check them out here at time.com and newsweek.com). ABC News is also considered very neutral (abcnews.go.com).

Dialogue Staff: 

What would you say to a student wondering if their vote matters?

Mr. Vito: 

Every election matters! Participating in every election shows that you care about things going on around you. If you don’t like the candidates, just showing up to the polls and voting “none of the above” shows you care.

Dialogue Staff:

If a student is not yet registered to vote, how can they still be involved and use their political voices?

Mr. Vito: 

Obviously, read the news. But also talk to friends and family. Discussion is the easiest way. Make sure your information is coming from RELIABLE sources. Do not take opinion as fact. Students could join clubs and organizations. They can volunteer for local politicians. Go to a school board and town hall meeting!

Dialogue Staff:

The focus of the news media is often on national elections. Why is it still important to participate in local elections?

Mr. Vito: 

Town, County, and School Board elections affect your lives on a daily basis! The president doesn’t know about our local issues, but our local committee and board members do. Vote! Vote! Vote!