How to (Actually) Achieve Your New Year’s Resolution This Year

Abby Nam, Writer

Many opportunities accompany the advent of a new year, giving us a chance at a fresh start. This traditionally means setting new goals for ourselves, so I naturally had to ask a few people at CHS about their resolutions for 2023!

CHS’ Class of 2024 secretary, Shane Hamblin, said he wants to maintain a healthier work-life balance and prioritize his sleep (don’t we all). Kate Midura, Latin Club officer, says she wants to practice her instrument more often. Fellow Dialogue staff member Sophia Edwards told me she wanted to focus on maintaining good grades and improve at her hobbies. Another anonymous student told me, “I want to stop shoving chocolate chips in my mouth on a daily basis.”

Unfortunately, according to Forbes, nearly 80% of people admit to giving up their resolutions by only February. The main reason? People have great ambitions, but no effective plan of action. 

Luckily, you can easily remedy this common problem by adhering to “SMART” guidelines.SMART is an acronym standing for Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely. If you stick to SMART while formulating your resolutions,  it can help you avoid becoming just another part of the statistic. 

To supplement this, finding a person to hold you accountable can also keep you on track throughout the year. Whether it’s a friend or family member, having a reliable support system can prevent you from giving up. 

So, will we persevere and achieve our goals this year, CHS? Only time will tell, but with these helpful tips, I have high hopes for us all!