The Student News Site of Cranford High School

Dialogue

Dialogue

Dialogue

Polls

What kind of content do you want to see on Dialogue?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Behind the Scenes of the CHS Marching Band Halftime Show

The Cranford High School Marching Band halftime show has always captivated audiences. However, this year’s show is both entertaining and meaningful. Entitle “for pEaCe,” it was written by our very own Mr. Chernosky, and consists of four movements: “Dignity,” “Joyfulness,” “Reverence,” and “Triumph.” The four movements weave together the songs “Dona Nobis Pacem” (“give peace to us”), “Sim Shalom” (“grant us peace”), and “Let There Be Peace on Earth.”

The show is dedicated to the former Cranford High School student and drum major Eamon Cagney. He graduated in 2013 as the salutatorian of his class. He played the tenor saxophone and clarinet in the marching and concert band, and was brilliant with computers; he even went on to work for Google. Mr. Chernosky described him as “one of the smartest and most mature kids [he’s] ever known.” He unfortunately passed away, but there is no doubt that if he were still here, he would be a “big agent of good and peace.”

The show itself is about just this–peace.  All of the songs used were chosen with the theme of peace in mind, with the idea for this meaning stemming from Mr. Chernosky’s love for the melody of “Sim Shalom.” This song was in turn the one in which the entire show was built around.

It aims to convey the message that we are all striving for peace in the world. The performance begins with the band making the letters E and C, for Eamon’s initials. There is also a heart and peace sign, to represent equality and love. At the end of the third movement, the band forms a big heart around the drumline, who step forward then back to create the visual of a beating heart.

This is a beautiful show with an even more beautiful message.