The Student News Site of Cranford High School

Dialogue

Dialogue

Dialogue

Polls

What kind of content do you want to see on Dialogue?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Maui Wildfires – How You Can Make a Difference

Photo by James Wheeler: https://www.pexels.com/photo/shore-during-sunset-3936144/

In early August of 2023, a series of destructive wildfires swept the Lahaina area on the Hawaiian island of Maui. Causing over 100 deaths and $5.5 billion in damages, the fires were some of the worst in United States history. Both the town’s residents and visiting tourists were killed in a matter of hours and the historic cultural and tourist town was completely destroyed. 

The fires began in Maui’s countryside and were blown south by strong winds from Hurricane Dora. Blazing wildfires most often begin because of human activity (cigarettes, campfires, equipment malfunctions) and are fueled by dry vegetation. It has been proven that climate change contributes to warmer, drier conditions that make fires stronger and easier to start. 

The Maui fires exemplify the increasing dangers these disasters will cause, and the importance of preventing them. To directly prevent wildfires, individuals can use campfires, lighters, and other forms of fire carefully. However, to address the root problem of climate change, one can decrease their use of fossil fuels by walking or carpooling, use less energy at home by using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, or by eating more plants and fewer animal-products. Every person can make a difference, even just by informing others and spreading knowledge. Join Cranford High School’s Environmental Club to learn more and contribute to changes at the school!