The Student News Site of Cranford High School

Dialogue

Dialogue

Dialogue

Polls

What kind of content do you want to see on Dialogue?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Girls Varsity and JV Tennis Season Update

One flash of neon green bouncing against the strings of a racket can make or break the results of a tennis match, and after a disappointing 2022 season, the Girls Varsity and JV Tennis teams just wrapped up what could be considered a significant comeback season. After countless weather delays, the Varsity team won their first two matches in 5-0 shut-outs against ALJ, and they maintain a current season record of 4-6, which is a meaningful improvement from last year’s scores.  

Though not all were wins, the varsity team remained closely matched with many of their opponents, reaching frequent tense tiebreakers to end the match. Second doubles pairing Mia Starks and Halle Earl fought hard against their Governor Livingston rivals, achieving tiebreakers twice away and at counties. Similarly, second singles player Emily Queenan and first doubles pair Sarah Butka and Grace McCloskey both experienced seven-point tiebreakers in their second set against Elizabeth following 6-6 game ties. As the season comes to a close, the team feels satisfied with their significant four-match comeback and looks forward to continued improvement in the coming seasons.

Although the season ended tremendously, it began at a markedly slow pace.  Junior Varsity matches suffered a startling six cancellations and postponements, four of which delayed the beginning of the season.  Despite the weather-induced tribulations, the JV team was able to bounce back with a 9-0 undefeated season.  Additionally, the team executed three shutouts against Jonathan Dayton, Union, and Roselle Park.  

Under the direction of a new coach, the Junior Varsity team benefited profusely from the leadership of Allison Skrec.  Second doubles partners Corey Botsakos and Izabela Onisko and fourth doubles triplet Emma Niblock, Vanessa Kolesarova, and Cayla Reilly did not suffer a single loss throughout the season.  Whether it be love-love or match point, each player left it all out on the courts.

Ultimately, both girls tennis teams have undeniably improved since 2022 and continued to grow stronger throughout the duration of the 2023 season.  The losses last year failed to diminish the teams’ spirit and love for the sport and encouraged them to bring their all in the next season.  Both teams have finished up this year with high hopes for 2024!